Some of these #FridayFunFacts may be gross…
But they are still pretty cool.
- Skin accounts for about 15% of your body weight.
- Your skin is its thickest on your feet (1.4mm) and thinnest on your eyelids (0.2mm).
- Skin renews itself every 28 days.
- Some sources estimate that more than half of the dust in your home is actually dead skin.
- Your skin constantly sheds dead cells, about 30,000 to 40,000 cells every minute! That’s nearly 9 lbs. per year!
- Tattoos are permanent due to cells called Macrophages.
- The puncture of the tattoo needle causes inflammation in the dermis. In response, white blood cells, known as macrophages, are sent in to help heal the damage. These macrophages “eat” the dye and can pass it to newer macrophages when they die off, so the pigment is essentially transferred from one cell to another. Any leftover pigment is soaked up by fibroblasts, which are longer-lasting skin cells that don’t regenerate as often.
These are just some of the facts that our expert estheticians know about skin. Schedule a facial appointment and learn everything you can about your skin type, skin conditions, and what products would be best for treating your skin.